Pender Harbour Community Club was formed in early 1940 and the first location was at the Irvine’s Landing Hall, which was privately owned by Bill Pieper. Bill was going to close it down, as it was not profitable to operate. Pender Harbour residents rallied together and formed the Pender Harbour Community Club and leased the hall from the owner.
People involved were Bill Scoular, Ole Kleven, Hilda Reid, Maggie Wray and Clara Lee was first secretary.
Pender Harbour Community Club Societies Act was first stamped 19 November 1945. The membership was an annual fee of $1.00. If you were between 12 and 16 years of age you could become an associate Junior Member for an annual fee of $.50.
Today our membership fees remain at $5.00 per person and family memberships are $10.
A real estate developer purchased Gonzales Property in Madeira Park. Hilda Reid was an agent and was instrumental in having the lot donated to the PHCC in 1949.
Many volunteers built the hall in 1949. In the start, the volunteers and residents purchased bonds to finance the building of the hall. The Community Club originally owned part of the present school field. In 1965, the Community Club adjusted their property lines and sold their field property to the school district. Since then, the current property has been maintained by volunteers, organizing events and fundraising initiatives to meet the daily expenses of the hall.
The Community Club has had a few fairy godmothers/godfathers throughout the years that have graciously given monetary as well as personal commitment.
Don Fraser decided in the year 2000 to spend his efforts and his spare time refurbishing the outside of the community hall. He organized a group to help him in this task and has continued his work throughout the years. The outside area was dramatically transformed into a beautiful, wondrous garden area. This initiative spurred on the PH Improvement Foundation.
Another such soul was Stu Eggleton who gave graciously both in time and money when the community hall was in need. John Rees was instrumental in getting the SCRD grant money for the replacement of our much-needed septic field in 2006.
Throughout the years, the community hall has housed Pender Harbour’s first library and first Play School. The hall was used as a meeting space for any youth group such as Cubs, Scouts, Brownies, Girl Guides and Teen nights. The hall was the center for badminton tournaments two nights a week, and dances, and Thursday night Bingo. The club purchased two billiards tables and roller skates as well as movie projection equipment to encourage the use of the hall for the Pender Harbour youth. The hall was also used to run programs when the Aquatic Center it was closed for renovations.
The Community Club also provides a building plus storage area in the hall to the Pender Harbour Health Clinic Auxiliary for the operation of the Bargain Barn. This enables them to fundraise for the benefit of the Pender Harbour Health Clinic.
The Community Club rents out space for the Pender Harbour Community Policing facilities. This enables the Sunshine Coast RCMP to have a presence in downtown Madeira Park.
The Community Club also rents an area for a very popular commercial business in Madeira Park, the Triple B’s Burgers in the blue food truck next to the Bargain Barn and the Pender Harbour Community Hall.